The spring found us laying new flooring in 80 percent or more of our home. I did most of it myself. Rick and our friend Jake did an awesome job on the living room. I could not be happier with the way it is now!
I started a new job in July. That was crazy stressful. I was pressured to learn very fast or else get some pretty harsh criticism from my new boss. It was like being in the military. I had to memorize where everything was or I was not paying attention. After a month of this, I was having adrenaline problems again. That got better and now the job is going smoothly.
Beyond that I had a LOT of relationship challenges. New people to navigate at work, teenage drama at home, and trials with friendships. It was intense.
So, it's not that I didn't like 2011, it's just that it was a tough one. I was so emotional at the end of the year because of some of it. I realized one day that I had fear issues. I had so many challenges in a row that I became fearful that I would not survive anymore. So, that was an interesting emotional hurtle to get through at the closing of the year.
Yet, it's all in love that God has done these things. It made me address some stuff before the year ended that I'm frankly glad he brought to the surface for me. I can start the new year new. It also gave me some graceful perspective for people I encounter. More on that also later on.
So, here are my new year thoughts/goals:
- Making scripture priority: Last year I depended too much on people and when that fell through (as it always will with all of us) I realized I did not fall back on the word enough. My trials caused me to shy away from God instead of run to him. I became so frustrated with people that I started loosing sight of Christ. I saw my frustrations with Christians as a reason not to draw close to Christ and I should have done the opposite. I should have run to Him and his word MORE. I have more thoughts about the importance of Scripture I hope to record in Deeper Thoughts soon. I'm excited with my new bible app to choose a reading plan for the year. Have not decided which yet.
- Prayer: I am so convicted to pray, pray, pray this year. I want to pray for what God want's me to focus on in all areas of my life. I want to pray before I blog, before I plan, and before I buy.
- Invest in people wisely: I really want to have more wisdom this year about my relationships and those that I am lead to invest in, I want to invest in well.
- Realize limitations: I really need to realize that some things are not going to work. Some people are not going to like me, or my children, or the way I am convicted to live. There are people I'm not going to mesh well with even if I wish I did. There are some relationships that are only going to go so far. I need to look to what God's will is for me instead of being frustrated with these limits. I need to realize also what I can and cannot do. To put more energy into the can-s and not let the cannot-s discourage me. I need to realize the limitations of my husband and children as well and stop wasting time being frustrated with them when I feel they should be this or that.
- Active Family: I personally want to shoot for 30 min of activity a day. I really need to be focused on getting more active with the kids and not just worried about my own fitness level. I need to be doing things with them more.
- Crowd out judgmental reactions: When you feel judged, it's easy to develop a default "judge you back!" reaction. I hate this in myself right now and I think my first two goals are needed to fight this problem in my life. I also want to stop fretting about feeling judged. Those are only going to be cured by the help of the Lord through his word and prayer. It's a battle I know I'm going to have to take on in my thought life this year. The fact is, there will always be someone judging me. I just need to get over it and let God deal with people while I focus on Him dealing with me.
- Encourage More: I struggle at this yet I'm realizing that there is more power in encouragement than any other interaction. God knew what he was doing when he said to spur one another on. Part of spurring says "hey, we are in this together!" and helps me crowd out that judgment issue as well. So, this year I want to try every day to encourage others. Did I mention I 'm not good at this...lol?
- Read more: Yes, I'm going to try to have a reading list this year. I've become less of a reader lately and that bothers me.
- Cook: Since I started working, I've been so tired on the kitchen home front. I need to get organized again and push myself to prepare good food for my family.
- Blog/Journal: I want to really pick back up this hobby and I'm also going to keep a journal this year. There are just some things I need to get out that I can't in a blog. My goal is to write on my own and pray about what to go ahead and share here on the blog.
- Family Meetings: Rick and I have wanted to do this for a while. We want to have a time where we all get on the same page as a family and we really feel the kids need to develop compassion for each other through discussion and prayer for one another. We are going to try to do this during my Sunday shifts at work. Usually the diner is quiet and we always have two tables outside so even if I have to go in and care for customers I can. This way, we can have some time to connect while I would have otherwise been away from home. Sundays before the week is a great time I think. The kids are going to keep notebooks of what frustrated them in the week, what they need to do or want to plan, and what each other's prayer needs are. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes.
So, I think that is the top of the heap there.